Friday, April 27, 2012

How to determine the purpose of theater.

The question of the purpose of theater is one I've been considering for a while. I think I have a good concept of my answer, but I'm not yet able to crystallize my thoughts into a conveyable meaning. I might just be over complicating issues, but I think that in order to determine the purpose of anything, I must first link it back to the universal objective of every living creature: to maximize happiness. So, very first I'm going to need to write about what convinces me that maximizing happiness is as important as it is. In a society where we have messages of so-called "selfless acts" being those acts we should take, many people have been skeptical of my claim. To resolve this I will be posting a detailed explanation. I think that anyone who reads it will have to concede that what I'm saying is universal; though perhaps in words they may not appreciate.

After I resolve what the "universal" purpose is, then I can start talking about how man uses tools to attain this. After this, I will show that stories are a rather complex tool for attaining the same thing. Then I will, using that as my guide, be able to more clearly define what is makes a story "good". After I've shown what a "good" story is, I can begin the task of showing how we have different types of tools for attaining a particular "end"(e.g. a Novel has "x" qualities, which makes it very useful when trying to attain "y", Theater has "z" quality... Essays have "q" quality etc. etc. . I may go somewhat out of order, but I should end up with all those pieces. In the end I hope to have a fairly good writers manual for the purpose of determining what format a writer should use for which purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment